The Rochester region is one of the hottest residential markets in New York state after NYC and Buffalo. It’s a popular market for buying existing homes, and 2021 has been a good year for real estate transactions in the region. Despite these positive factors, if you are struggling to sell a house fast in Rochester, NY, it could be because you’re making some real-estate mistakes.
Read on to avoid common home selling mistakes and learn how to get the best offer within a reasonable time frame.
Mistake #1: Not Staging the Property
Foul odors, dirty carpets, stained walls, broken door hinges, and general clutter can put off potential homebuyers. If you are looking to impress buyers and receive the best offers, you need to perfect the art of home staging.
- Declutter: You should have a place for everything and everything in its place. Remove unnecessary items and put them in storage or out of sight.
- Depersonalize: Remove trinkets, souvenirs, family photographs, and other personal items to make the space neutral.
- Repair: Fix leaky faucets, replace broken bulbs, and repair broken doors. A new coat of paint or new carpets makes the space attractive to buyers.
Mistake #2: Not Being Prepared for Selling Costs
Selling a home is expensive. You need to account for the 5% to 6% agent commissions, closing costs, repairs, staging costs, and other miscellaneous expenses. Typically, the total cost of selling ranges up to 10% of the sale price.
If you don’t have the money to pay for these costs out of pocket, you can sell your home to cash home buyers in Rochester, NY. You can eliminate an intermediate when you sell the property to cash home buyers. Then, you avoid agent costs, closing costs, and other fees as well.
Mistake #3: Not Being Honest
One of the common mistakes that sellers make is exaggerating the features of their property and hiding the imperfections. As a result, potential buyers are disappointed when they see the property in person as it doesn’t match the description. To avoid this mistake, be honest in your listing ad. Let buyers know what to expect to be on the same page.
Mistake #4: Choosing the Wrong Sales Method
Look for real estate agents who have your best interests at heart. While choosing realtors, check if they have prior experience selling homes in the Rochester area. It’s also a good idea to confirm the agent commissions and other fees beforehand to avoid surprises down the line.
Before you hire a realtor:
- Check their marketing plan.
- Analyze their skills, negotiation style, and how they communicate.
- See if they have any other current listings that compete with yours.
Alternatively, you can consider other methods like selling directly to cash home buyers or selling it yourself.